7/29/08

INVITE

Bantu Letters

By the way my good comrades at the National Arts Council of South Afrika have once again showed me love and gave me some money to unleash my artistic prowess and touch as many lives as possible in ways that only artists know how. This time I'm not even going to do my own work but put together a project so inclusive and experimental I call it Bantu Letters. All I'm going to do is to edit it, there's going to be none of my own stuff there. This is pure showcasing.

Bantu Letters is going to be a collection of poetry (you can call it letters) written by my bantus (people) in the languages of their dreams and nightmares. Those languages are Sepulana, isiNdebele and isiSwati. These are the languages spoken in my province of Mpumalanga which is bordering Swaziland, Limpopo, Gauteng, Kwazulu-Natal and Mozambique. These book will be made up of people I consider Bantus.

But then again, statisticians are quick to claim that there is a trickle of amaZulu and amaXhosa who are also residents of Mpumalanga. My gut feeling tells me to include them in the collection but a certain voice in the back of my mind tells me I might as well include Shona, Shangaan and Afrikaans since they are Bantu languages too.

Why? Because folks who speak those languages are part of the Mpumalanga landscape and they dream in their indigenous languages as well. Then I decided I might throw a token two-two poems from these lovely tribes, including ChiVhenda poetry. As long as the folk lives within our borders and has no beef with being called a Bantu then it's fine. Start sending your Bantu Letters to this address.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Commentator

Kasiekulture encourages you to leave a comment and sensitize others about it. However due to spammers filling this box with useless rhetoric that has nothing to do with our posts we have now decided that to comment you have to go to our Facebook Page titled THE Kasiekulture BLOG. We will not authorise any comments. Apologies for the inconvenience.