12/26/10

TRUE

New Year's Resolution - Adopt the World!





A couple of years ago I used to be one of those who prioritised December 31 as the day that I made my resolutions known. All too ambitious. All with a deadline. And everytime I failed to realise them I felt like a total failure. Total muthafucking failure. And later on in life I noticed that I was not a failure because I couldn't reach my resolutions, I was a failure because I set them in the first place. These days I have daily resolutions. The secret is to take your meal in small bites instead of wanting to devour the whole cattle.

And now 2010 when I started I told myself that all I wanted was to fix the world; one step at a time. And I only stared in February to remove one pedophile principal from a high school. My plan was simple; use any meant necessary, as long as it's based on truth and fact to pluck this cancer from our society. It took time and in October the bug was gone - detoxed forever. It was one of my resolutions.

2011 I have only two resolutions; The first one is to see to it that Mhala Traffic Testing Ground is closed pending investigations into corruption, money laundering and extortion. I have simple ambitions. I don't care that it takes me one, two, four or twelve months. I will only feel good when that muthafucka is closed and heads roll.

My second ambition is to adopt the whole world; one child at a time. But not really one child as like Nelson Mandela Children's Fund but those with the potential to be something in the arts. Simply put I want to strive to produce a mixtape for all the rappers I think have potential, create a platform for all the visual artists with talent, publish poets with skill and something to tell. I want to adopt the whole fucking world.


I think I should confess that my ambition is fuelled by what I see happening around me. I will mention a few individuals who feed my muse. Vonani Bila has carried the cross of literature and the arts for many years; often focusing in areas in the periphery such as villages and hamlets. He has exposed more poets, playwrights and authors who if he allowed the city-based status quo to prevail would have never seen the inside of a book store. And at 38 he is far from stopping, always striving to open more avenues for rural artists to be exposed.

Mathata Mashile is an enterpreneur to whom soccer has always been a part of his life. While he did not manage to play at the highest leagues he pursued business and today he regularly sponsors community events with the potential to channel youth energies into positive platforms. He stages soccer tournaments which's logistics and financial support he scrapes from the bottom of his pocket to realise - with no corporate support.

Pitso Mashilane started Amazwi Poetry Club which grew in strength and produced some of the most powerful bards today. The majority of those have the potential; once they have outgrown puberty to be anything the want to be in the world of arts. One of them is feature on the video which I posted in the opening of this post.

This post will be incomplete if I forgot my heart in human form - Keitu Nkoto Anne Malebye. She is many things to many people, an actor, a singer, a sister and anything you want her to be - as long as it's positive and beneficial to a greater human race. She started a group of children performers called Bana Ba Bongi who kick butt like nobody's business. She funds the troupe from her own pocket and continues to support these kids who have the potential to be the next layer of performers in this country.

These people I mentioned do not have deep pockets; they just have pockets and bigger hearts. They include Luv Ur Hood's founders Khutso 'Katsuko' Malele and Hlompho 'Master H Lepulana' Lekhuleni. Mxolisi Nyezwa. Last but not least Matshilo Motsei and all the women in Maviljan she works with to better the lives of women and children. All they have is a heart - often bigger then their fists. And I reckon if I asked them their New Year's Resolutions they will be linked to the community works they have been doing for all these time - without any payment.

TO COMMENT ON THIS POST GO TO OUR FACEBOOK PAGE: THE Kasiekulture BLOG & write your comment on the wall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Commentator

Kasiekulture encourages you to leave a comment and sensitize others about it. However due to spammers filling this box with useless rhetoric that has nothing to do with our posts we have now decided that to comment you have to go to our Facebook Page titled THE Kasiekulture BLOG. We will not authorise any comments. Apologies for the inconvenience.